About The Nest Project

I am interested in the ways that humans understand and misunderstand natural systems. I have been exploring this relationship by replicating bird's nests and installing them in outdoor locations. These nests inhabit two worlds. They begin their life in the studio or gallery as art objects and later they are placed in outdoor locations to assume the function of real nests. Here, they are subject to changes in purpose and meaning depending on the reactions of the birds whom they are offered to and other elements in the environment. This blog spot documents the lifecycle or each nest, providing information on its indoor and outdoor life.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Silence the ornamental pheasants

So Chris left me a message about the pigeon's nests he wanted me to build. Actually they are mourning doves - which apparently build their nests on top of the nests of other birds. So that means double the nests... I wonder how much I should charge him. He also wanted to know if I had any idea how to "silence" his neighbor's ornamental pheasants. I am not sure what he means by this but it is hilarious to speculate. I refuse to kill pheasants for money... even though I am broke and would like to buy a nest cam...
The nest cam idea is a new one for me. These have been popular on the internet lately and think it might be interesting to try. My number one source of nest cam info is linked at the bottom of the page. In his experience it sometimes takes a year for bird's to warm up to the idea artifical nests.

No comments: